Revell 03601 X-Wing Fighter

Luke’s X-Wing was the must have Hasbro toy of the 80’s. Having completed the Millennium Falcon I thought I’d give another Star Wars model a go.

The Box

Illustration on the front depicts the fighter in orbit around a cloudy planet, engaged in battle with an unseen foe. The banner these is carried across from the Millennium Falcon so must be common across the brand.

The back provides product detail and the paints required to complete the model.

In the Box

Another small set with only 21 parts and an A4 colour instruction manual. The instruction manual is really high quality with easy instructions to follow. The plastic parts have some flash so the moulding system isn’t as good as the Falcon.

The complexity (skill level 3) comes from the intricate painting / decals, though due to the size this is somewhat easier to decorate than the Falcon, with some exceptions..

Painting Begins

Unfortunately the instructions don’t state anywhere what colour to paint the chassis, wings, guns, or engine cowels. The instructions show that they are white so I painted them white as leaving them unpainted plastic gray didn’t sit well.

Revell acrylic paints are really inconsistent. Some are thick and gloopy, some are so thin you need 5 or 6 coats. However, I completed the painting on all parts prior to cutting from the frame.

Assembly

Assembly was extremely simple and extremely quick, though I had to leave the wing parts to set overnight.

First up was the pilot and the cockpit.

And the glass for the rear canopy. To avoid glue smear, I fixed the glass in place, the put a blob of glue on either side so it affixes to the plastic chassis. This was only possible due tot he precision engineering of the pieces.

Next was fitting the cockpit to the chassis, and the extremely intricate (and fiddly) rebel helmet decals. This is where the skill level 3 comes in, and in my opinion should never have been a decal, but the painting would have been impossible.

Finally the canopy was fitted.

Next were the wings and the engine cowels. I decided to fit the wing decals at this time as I thought it would be tricky later.

This is where I discovered a mistake in the manual, as one image of one of the wings had been illustrated as a mirror image. Not difficult to work out but disappointing failure in quality for Revell.

The engineering on the moulding process is truly very good as the pieces fit together very well.

Wing assembly was easy, though I discovered another mistake. Whether it’s in the manual or on the model I’m not sure, but the wings do not flatten together. They are permanently set in deployed X mode. For me this is how I would want the model to be anyway.

I had to sand a little around the pegs on the guns where they affix to the wing, but again another good fit.

Finally I assembled the chassis and the wings together. I had to use clamps on the top and bottom chases around the wings. I’m not sure why but there was a lot of resistence.

Decals

Some of the decals can be substituted for paint instead. I decided to apply all the decals apart from some on R2 D2, which were both impossible to apply and paint. I also painted the glass instead of using the decal. I suspect the “optional” decal glue comes into its own with decals on curved surfaces. The blue and black decals that curve round the guns are extremely tricky to apply with just water. I assume the decal glue would help here too. I may have to purchase some for my next Revell model!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.